- ½ a red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 spring onions
- 1 x 400 g tin black beans
- 100 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 80 g baby kale
- 30 g rocket
- olive oil
- 1 ripe beef tomato
- 75 g mozzarella cheese
- 2 wholemeal buns
Source: Jamie Oliver - Black Bean Burgers
Black Bean Burgers
- Peel the onion, finely slice into rounds and place in a small bowl with the balsamic and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Halve, deseed and finely chop the chilli. Trim and finely chop the spring onions. Place both in a mixing bowl. Drain the beans and pat dry with kitchen paper. Add to the bowl, along with the breadcrumbs.
- Season, then scrunch the bean mixture together with clean hands. Divide into 3 balls, flatten into patties and place 2 in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes (wrap and freeze the spare for another day).
- In a small bowl, combine half the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and the yoghurt. Season well. Trim the kale and mix into the dressing with the rocket. Put aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat. When the pan is hot, fry the burgers for 4 minutes on each side, or until golden. If they colour too quickly, reduce the heat.
- Slice the tomato and mozzarella into rounds and open the buns.
- When the burgers are almost cooked, top each one with mozzarella. Cover the burgers with a lid for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Set another pan over a high heat and warm the bun halves, cut-side down, for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Lift the onions out of the balsamic with a fork.
- Pop slices of tomato on each bun base, and a burger on top. Top with the balsamic onions and the bun lid. Serve the kale salad alongside.